RE: Machine shop work

To: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Machine shop work
From: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 12:04:22 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Douglas Frank wrote :
<snip>

> For future refrence, Rimmer's faxed me their specs for the shaft.  I
> quote, without fully understanding:
>
>   material  ...  BS.970:part3:212A42
>   heat treat  ...  case harden 60-62 HRC, depth .75mm (pre-grinding)
>   finish grind  ...  4-6u c.l.a  (that's 'u' for 'micro')
>   tolerance (dia)  ...  85 somethings
>   max runout OAL  ...  .0015in
>
> If anyone can identify the US equivalent of that BS number, I'd
> appreciate it!

Douglas :

BS 970 is a standards document dealing with a wide variety of "wrought
steels".  Part 3 is titled specifically
"Specification for Wrought Steels for Mechanical and Allied Engineering
Purposes - Part 3: Bright Bars for General Engineering Purposes "

So, the 212A42 is what you need to look up.  From what I found on the web,
It's equivalent to EN-8DM, US G11410 and ASTM 1141, falls in the category
"Medium carbon and carbon manganese steels", and is described as "44 carbon
free cutting".  (I assume "44 carbon" means 4.4% carbon by weight, but I'm
not sure.)

Randall