Brake calipers

To: Jonathan Beaudoin <jbdoin@sympatico.ca>
Subject: Brake calipers
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 15:45:44 -0500
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by Jonathan Beaudoin
>    Can somebody give me a hint on how to remove pistons from the brake
caliper.. I did put some air in and the piston of the opposite side of
the bleeder screw came out. I separate the caliper and plugged the hole.
Put the air on again, but the other piston just don't want to get out.
What do I do next?

Jonathan Beaudoin
<

Ah, the age-old problem of the stuck caliper.  If the 100 PSI of air
pressure won't bust it loose you need to resort to the old grease gun
method.  The problem is that this requires a special adapter.  A zerk
fitting brazed to a pipe nipple of the appropriate type.  The grease gun
will develope lots of pressure and it won't explode on you when it does
break loose.

I would recommend that you send these off to Apple Hydraulics for
professional rebuild but I know that you are a college student and you
"don't got no money."

Is the piston all the way down or is there some room left to move.  You
might try compressing the piston with a vice to try to break it loose and
then try to pop it out with compressed air.  Or soak it with penetrating
oil.

Good luck and write back one way or the other.

Dave