Re: Brake calipers

To: "Jonathan Beaudoin" <jbdoin@sympatico.ca>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Brake calipers
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 19:30:38 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Here's what I did- I took the old flexible brake line that I was replacing
anyway and cut in half.  I then took a tire valve stem and whittled the
rubber off the end leaving the brass tube bare which I inserted in the cut
end of the hose, the half with the fitting that came out of the caliper.  I
actually ran the brass tube through a die, putting threads on it and screwed
it into the hose- it fit pretty tight so I didn't need the hose clamp I had
planned on using to keep it in.  I then screwed the fitting back into the
caliper and, since I don't have an air compressor I used a bicycle pump on
the tire valve to push out the caliper.  When 1 side popped loose, I put it
back in and held it place with a C-clamp and pumped the other one out.

Many people are suggesting a grease gun in place of the air pressure.  I
suspect that you could use the hose trick to rig an adapter for a grease gun
as well and not worry about trying to find the right size grease fitting or
stripping the threads in the caliper.

Good luck,
Bob