Re: Distilled Water is BAD??

To: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Subject: Re: Distilled Water is BAD??
From: "Philip Haldeman" <haldeman@accessone.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 16:31:30 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <105671.471@compuserve.com>, <vafred@erols.com>, <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>, <pboldtrix@juno.com>
Phil Barnes says:

> What you read about distilled water is correct. But wait. By the addition
> of anti-freeze, which contains various anti-corrosion materials, you are
> OK.

I'd thought of this.  But the book I'm referring to (_How to Maintain &
Enjoy Your Collector Car__ by Josh Malks; Motorbooks 1995) was referring to
Mercedes Benz research that *assumed* the distilled water was in a 50/50
mixture of antifreeze.  So although your remark makes logical sense---and is
appreciated---it may not prevent the problem with the distilled water.

Assuming I want to be safe, it would seem that just draining and re-filling
the radiator would be satisfactory.  I'm guessing that the block doesn't
need to be flushed again, since the water will cycle and mix together in the
system.  What the radiator shops use (here in the Seattle area) is ordinary
tap water.  It's good stuff.  Tastes almost like bottled water!  Anyway, if
I end up with a mixture of good tap water, distilled water, and 50%
antifreeze, seems to me that the distilled water can't "act alone". . . !
Or is something happening on a molecular level that would require a complete
new flush?!   Gads!  How do I always end up with these weird questions?!

--Phil Haldeman
haldeman@accessone.com