Spitfire Engine Timing Question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire Engine Timing Question
From: John Baker <dmjbaker@netzero.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 18:30:52 -0500
I am really having problems with the alignment of the Crank Shaft and
the Cam Shaft on my 1978 Spitfire.  I have the crank shaft with the Key
up and the mark in line with the mark on the engine.  I have the cam
shaft
sprocket mark aligned with the notch in the hole and the other sprocket
mark aligned with the mark on the engine.  Which is suppose to be
correct by the picture in my manual.

So here is my question.  With the Crank and the Cam Shaft aligned I
would assume that the #1 cylinder valves would be closed.  The way that
I have it set up the second valve is partially open and both valves on
#4 are completely closed. I am also assuming the #1 cylinder is towards
the front of the car.

So what am I doing wrong?

I really would like to get this running and out of my wife's parking
space before she returns home Friday.

Thank You
John