Re: Nuts & Bolts - Replacing During a Rebuild

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Nuts & Bolts - Replacing During a Rebuild
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 23:08:48 -0700

Jack Levy wrote:

> Wouldn't it be great if there was a list somewhere (maybe VTR) by vehicle
> would show approximately number of what type bolts, nuts, etc. and
> suggestions on where to replace with stainless and where not to. I am
> putting back together a Spit  and I am constantly running into the same
> thing. Those of you who have done this many times KNOW that the frame bolts
> are xx with xx nuts, all suspension bolts are xx, etc. How about a complete
> nut/bolt/clip/etc kit? I personally would pay for someones knowledge and
> time for a complete kit, most of us replace most all of them anyway.

This brings up a point worth mentioning. Someone else mentioned that
they have a Triumph standard hardware guide. Almost all manufacturers
have a standard hardware guide. Someone else mentioned that some engine
hardware is available from Caterpillar more cheaply, and is of possibly
better quality.

If the hardware is known, and the sources are known, some or all of the
hardware may be available, and at reasonable costs. McMaster-Carr, true,
has a wide selection (their principal advantage), but their small
quantity prices are high.

If the costs seem too high, or the availability too scarce, here are
some suggestions. Call a nearby Ford and/or GM dealership and ask if the
company produces a standard hardware catalog, and if they do, the price
will not be high. The same might be done with, say Caterpillar, and
Jaguar (those little convertible top stays and snaps and so forth may
still be in use or noted in their catalog). And, for the items one can't
seem to find anywhere, call your local transit bus garage and ask the
maintenance supervisor if they use a hardware stocking service. If they
do (a _lot_ of them, big and small, now do), get the name of the local
hardware rep, and give their hardware rep a call.

Cheers.

--

Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM