TR6 coil

To: "G Spencer" <graham_spens@hotmail.com>
Subject: TR6 coil
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 09:39:37 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by "G Spencer"
>What's the difference between the later "resistor" coil and the earlier
coil?  When I did my engine swap, I put the coil and resistor form my old
engine on the new one, because I also mover the distributor.  The engine
however is of the earlier type, so what happens if I put a no resistor coil

on?  Will I blow something up?  What is the reason for the resistor?
Ignition?  Dizzy?
<

You will end all life as we know it.  Nothing serious.

Actually, a 6 Volt coil and a resistor will behave exactly like the 12 Volt
coil without the resistor.  (That's how you can tell a coil that takes a
resistor from  one that doesn't)  The only difference is that with the
resistor configuration you can inject battery voltage to boost coil output
during cranking.  In order to do this you will need the starter solenoid
and wiring harness from the later car.  Since you have a later model car
that stuff is already there so you might as well use it.

The distributor will not care, nor will the sparking plugs.

Dave