RE: TR6 coil

To: "Triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 coil
From: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 09:13:10 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Dave :

Well, I may have overstated the issue somewhat. <g>

But, I have seen a car (not a TR6, think it was a Nash Metro) where the 'no
start' turned out to be a '12V' coil used with an external ballast resistor.
When we bypassed the ballast, it started right up, although it stumbled and
died when we disconnected the bypass.  Come to think of it, your 74 TR6
should bypass the ballast on startup (the Metro had been retrofitted with
the ballast by a PO, so didn't have the starter bypass), so maybe that's why
you had less of a problem.

On an engine with fresh plugs and no other problems, you're right, it
probably wouldn't make a noticeable difference.

My real point was that the only combination that harms anything is running a
'6V' coil without a ballast resistor.

And, just because I really hate this '6V', '12V' terminology, let me point
out that many so-called '6V' coils are marked "12V" (including the one
currently on my car).

Randall