Re: TR6 coil

Subject: Re: TR6 coil
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 09:25:23 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Graham :

The later coil has no internal resistor, so requires an external
resistor (which is built into the harness on some later cars).  The
original earlier coil has an internal resistor and will not work well
with an external resistor (although it's common to switch to a later
type coil by adding a resistor).  You can find Dan Master's article on
the subject at http://www.vtr.org/maintain/ballast.html

Using a coil that requires a resistor without one will cause your points
to die quickly (less than 1000 miles), while the other combination will
just result in an engine that runs poorly, if at all.  As long as the
resistor setup matches the coil, you should have no problems with early
coils and late engines, or vice versa.

Randall