Re: unleaded gas

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: unleaded gas
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 08:11:02 -0400
Hi,

I hope someone else brought this point up, but:

In the US, it is a violation of the law to run your car with leaded gas. I
know that folks do it, I'm not naive... but it is against the law. If a
retailer is selling thi fuel and allowing you to pump directly into your
street-driven car, then the retailer is risking fines and other penalties
for allowing this usage.

That brings out two points:

1. the lead is not necessary to run your Triumph. Again - this topic has
been beaten to death on this list.

2. while CD2 and other products are probably really great stuff, they are
not necessary either. I don't care what anybody says about this topic.
Besides, for every success story about CD2 or other stuff, I can relate one
or more "horror stories" about the stuff. For example - ever try to clean
that crap out of three Weber DCOE40's??? That's a couple nights worth of
work, if you wanna know. And no, it wasn't me. I tried CD2 10 years ago.
Realized it didn't matter worth of anything... want a 10 year old "tub" of
CD2???

About the initial point - if folks continue to use leaded fuels intended
for non-road usage (e.g. race fuel and leaded Aviation fuel) _and_ EPA or
other agency sees that this usage is outside the bounds that they consider
an "annoyance" (my words), then you know the Big Fed will clamp down and
outright ban the usage of these fuels for everyone.

PLEASE DON'T DO THIS.

In other words, drive your Triumph - enjoy it. If the motor starts running
crappy because it's worn out, get it rebuilt with all the "unleaded stuff"
if you wish and then drive it some more.

You don't need 100 octane fuel in a normal Triumph. If you think you do or
your motor tells you that it does (it "pinks", for example), then find out
why. Chances are your motor is very high compression or your timing is way
off. If the compression is insane (greater than 9.5:1 or 10:1) then put
another head on it and _drive the thing_. If the timing is off - retard it
a bit and _drive the thing_.

Let's keep the 100-plus octane fuels where they are needed... like in my
13.5:1 TR6 _race car_. Oh - that's the "next generation". Maybe.

;-)

I hope I made a valid point or two.

rml
TR6's

Bob Lang      | TR 6 Guy           | Editor: New England Triumphs
Phone:        | 617-253-7438 (days)| 781-438-2568 (eves)
Occupation:   | ComputerZ          | TR fixer-Upper