RE: unleaded gas

To: "Triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: unleaded gas
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 09:15:14 -0700
Jean :

I don't recall now if Millers VSP had it or not, but look for the additive
that has manganese, or MMT (methyl manganese tertiary something or other
<g>) in it.  Not only can it boost octane up to 7 points (ie making 98 into
105), but used regularly it also reduces the engine's octane requirements.
 (Yes, I know that sounds crazy, but I've confirmed it on my TR3.  After
3-4 tanks using the recommended amount of MMT additive, I can go about a
tank and a half without anything before the engine starts pinging again.
 As a steady-state, I find I can use much less than the recommended amount,
as long as I use it in every tank.)

Aviation gasoline is definitely not the right stuff to use in cars,
although it can sometimes be used as a source of tetraethyl lead.  Around
here, you can buy racing gasoline for about the same price, which works
much better (but of course is not legal for use on public streets).

Randall
Lakewood, CA, USA