She Starts!!! But...

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: She Starts!!! But...
From: "Stephane St-Amant" <steph71tr6@crosswinds.net>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 18:05:56 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Hello again,

Well I found most of the things I needed to start Daisy (MKIII Spit - name
may change, the owner - SO - is not decided yet).  I haven't found the
points and condenser but so far, I don't need them.

Change the coolant
Change the oil (oil filter ordered - currently using the old one, wasn't too
bad)
Check the spark plug for sparks - Got it
Spray some carb cleaner (piston was hard to move)
Put some gas
Turn the key
Vroommmmmmm  cough cough cough. (Not bad after 5+ years sleeping!)
Start again, nothing
Put some carb cleaner again, turn key, vroom, stop
Check for gas in the line at the carb - got gas

After playing like this for quite a while, here what I noticed:
Got to put carb cleaner to start
Once started, if I keep the rpm constant (either low, mid or high), it will
die. The only way to keep it running is to vary the throttle.

The car is a '69 Spit with, as far as I know, the original engine (at least
the engine number is in the right range for the car).  It is currently
running with a single Stromberg setup (I have the dual SUs setup but it need
rebuilding).

Any idea on the problem?
(My guess is that I will have to buy the carb adjusting tool and adjust the
mixture.  I'm I close?)

TIA
Steph
'69 Spit (Slowly waking up - but still look like she's hangover!!!)
'71 TR6 (Starting to feel jealous of the Spit!)