Re: She Starts!!! But...

To: steph71tr6@crosswinds.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: She Starts!!! But...
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 11:15:18 EDT
In a message dated 00-05-27 18:10:48 EDT, steph71tr6@crosswinds.net writes:

<< Once started, if I keep the rpm constant (either low, mid or high), it will
 die. The only way to keep it running is to vary the throttle.

 The car is a '69 Spit with, as far as I know, the original engine (at least
 the engine number is in the right range for the car).  It is currently
 running with a single Stromberg setup (I have the dual SUs setup but it need
 rebuilding). >>

Steph,

'69 Spits (your car) - even late '69's should have a twin SU 1296cc with a
PCV valve sitting atop the intake manifold....if so, check to confirm that
the PCV is mounted securely to the manifold....the symptons you describe also
fit a situation where the PCV has broken lose from the manifold and is
letting in gobs of air which leans out the mixture greatly....working the
throttle keeps enough fuel flowing in to keep the engine turning over but
it'll never run smoothly at any constant throttle position with air rushing
in thru the PCV hole!

Cheers,

Chip Krout
'76 TR6 CF57822U (restoration underway)
'70 Spitfire Mk3 FDU78512L (ready for another driving season)