RE: 74 TR6 not charging

To: "Biedermann, Frank (SSABSA)" <frank@ssabsa.sa.gov.au>
Subject: RE: 74 TR6 not charging
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 10:08:49 -0400
Cc: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by "Biedermann, Frank (SSABSA)"
>If one of the 9 diodes in the diode pack blows, or the solder
>cracks then you effectively lose 1/3 of the charging capacity
>of the alternator.

Well, not exactly,  Three of them only provide power to the regulator and
one or two would suffice.  The likelyhood of one of these diodes failing is
about nill, however.  And if one did the ignition warning light would come
on dimly as the regulator supply voltage would now deviate from the battery
voltage.

>Could happen, but as you say, not very
>likely. They are a real bugger to de-solder and replace because
>of the way they are arranged. Then again, instead of fixing it
>you could always do an alternator conversion, which would then
>provide at least twice as much current output as the original
>;-)...
>
>Frank Biedermann

True, I just saw Dan Master's conversion and it is a nice fit.  Changing
individual diodes is an unworkable scenario but changing the diode assembly
is fairly easy since there are only three solder connections.  Been there,
done that.

Dave