RE: 74 TR6 not charging

To: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: 74 TR6 not charging
From: Glenn Rattmann <k6na@cts.com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 20:11:23 -0700

Dave said:
>Well, not exactly,  Three of them only provide power to the regulator and
>one or two would suffice.  The likelyhood of one of these diodes failing is
>about nill, however.  And if one did the ignition warning light would come
>on dimly as the regulator supply voltage would now deviate from the battery
>voltage.

I agree with Dave.  My IWL was glowing DIMLY, all the time, even though my
ignition and charging system continued to work ok.  Turned out to be one
cracked-solder diode lead which was easily seen once I opened the stock
alternator.  My 140-Watt Weller (1969!) fixed it fine (use clip-on heat
sinks to protect devices).  While I was in there, I changed the brushes
"jus' cuz".  I was steered toward the diodes by Dan Masters and a couple
others on the list... thanks.

Glenn 74.5 TR6 X 2
San Diego
"My soldering gun is older than my cars...."