Re: Diesel Engine Oil for older cars?

To: John Cowan <jfcowan@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Diesel Engine Oil for older cars?
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Tue, May 30 2000 14:39:39 GMT-0400
Cc: vintage-race@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
>Ed Kollin, recommends using diesel engine oil in older >cars, in particular,
>CG-4 15W-40.

John I have been done a similar path.  I have been looking for " just right"
oil for the TR4. 10W30 is too light for summer driving when the oil gets real
hot and 20W50 seems a little too thick for the "brand-new" (newly rebuilt)
engine in my car.  I bought some 20W-40 Valvoline "long duty" by the case for
this summer. The TR4 workshop manual calls out a 20W40 as the right oil for
summer out the UK.

However, I also needed to find a high quality 15W40 for my VW Passat that,
unlike the Japanese cars, uses a little oil between 5000 mile oil changes.

I found this 15W40 product from Shell Oil called "Rostella" or something close
to that. It is designed for  and used by the diesel truck users and is "top"
quality.  It comes in 1 gallon jugs and is available from my local NAPA dealer.

I have not tried it yet out of concern for whether it is a good choice for my
TR4

Brian Sanborn
'62 TR4 CT16260L  Groton,MA
TR4 Website www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn/home.html