Re: Diesel Engine Oil for older cars?

To: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>, John Cowan <jfcowan@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Diesel Engine Oil for older cars?
From: Jeff Johnson <jguy@erinet.com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 21:48:25 -0400
Cc: vintage-race@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Brian;

I wuold submit  that from my experience 15w40 is an excellent oil to use in
your TR . Shell Rotella T is used by the majority of 18 wheelers in this
country. We sell a lot of Rotella and also Pennzoil 15w40 to diesel truck
owners of all creeds. I have used 15w40 in my Mazda Rx7 for years and
recommend it to all my customers for use in their Mercedes Benz, BMW,
Volkswagen , Porsche and Mazda engines.  The owners manuals spec this
weight oil , right along with 20w50 if the ambient air temperature is warm
enough.
Either one is "just right" for your application.   Think about the owner
of  a Hudson Terraplane or '56 Packard or whatever. If the owner's manual
said to use a 30w Non-Detergent oil, would they be doing themselves any
favor by using today's modern 10w30 detergent oils? I think not. By the
way, I'm not really hung up on this issue, it's just what I do everyday.
Be Happy!

JMHO,

Jeff Johnson