Re: Drilled Rotors

To: "Hill, Stephen M EDUC:EX" <Stephen.Hill@gems7.gov.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: Drilled Rotors
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 10:19:53 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Just from what I have read -
It helps somewhat by allowing gasses generated by the pads at high braking
temps to dissipate a little easier, and affords *slightly* more cooling
area at the expense of weakening the rotors somewhat, and making a little
more noise during braking.  I would say that unless you are racing, and
going to replace the rotors on a regular basis, that the advantage (in a
street driven machine) isn't worth the tradeoff in reliability and noise.
For a street driven car, and for increased braking try using a metallic or
other higher performance pad.  I think you would be happier in the long run -

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)