Re: 2 Q's and a ....

Subject: Re: 2 Q's and a ....
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 16:45:54 -0400 ()
Cc: wizardz@maxinter.net, nass@egroups.com, Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>, Scions of the Spitfire <spitfires@autox.team.net>, spitfire-enthusiast@egroups.com
On Wed, 31 May 2000 SJagGo@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/31/00 11:16:56 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> wizardz@maxinter.net writes:
>
> > 1 - What differences exist in the frame member ends of the bonnet hinge
> >  assemblies. What is involved in mixing and matching MKIV/1500 bonnets
> > and frames and a '70 GT6+ chassis and bonnet.

> Mk3 GT6 bonnets are compatible with 1500's.  Mk3 Spitfire bonnets are
> compatable with GT6+'s.  Otherwise cutting and welding is necessary.

I think you can get away with just changing the hinge pivot bits
themselves. The front-most crossmember is basically the same for all
Spitfires and GT6s, differing only in location of various holes, blind
nuts, etc. for valences and spoilers and other pieces that bolted to it.

Otherwise the panels will line up: older bonnet on newer body and vice
versa. It might offend some folks' sense of aesthetics, originality, etc.,
but it will work.

> >  Q2 - in regards to identifying simply, a 3 0r 1 rail gear box in a Spit.
> >  Is it safe to assume if the main box is tapered near the tail cone it's
> >  a 3 rail?  .... as is a straight/level bottomed gearbox is the single rail
> > variety?
> The easiest way to tell the difference is the gear shift lever.  Long,
> angled, lots of chrome: it's a 3 rail.  Short, mostly covered by carpet boot:
> single rail.  I also believe the placement of reversre is different.

Correct. Reverse is to the right of 3/4 on the single-rail, and to the
LEFT of 1/2 on a three-rail. Of course, there are two different three-rail
gearboxes: one with and one without the synchro first. Assuming
originality, the later all-synchro version is easily identified visually
by the larger output flange (round, taking the larger flange bolts).

And either three-rail is very easy to tell from a single-rail if you can
look at the gearbox itself (tunnel cover off or gearbox out of car), as
the top cover and shift extension of the three-rail gearbox look very
different from the remote shift arrangement of the single-rail box.

--Andy