1970 TR6 Restoration - Rear Valance Repairs

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: 1970 TR6 Restoration - Rear Valance Repairs
From: AndyJS1@aol.com
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 03:12:56 EDT
The fenders are off with the doors, trunk lid and hood soon to follow and all
will go to the blasters for media/sand blasting.  After that, the rolling
chassis will get the same treatment; i.e., engine & passenger compartment,
trunk, fender wells, etc.

I decided to do some preliminary bumping out of obvious damage.  I separated
the inner and outer rear valance to fix the dent caused by a certain un-named
member of the present owner's family.  This area had been apart before and
had been brazed together (I wish people wouldn't braze body panels).  I not
only fixed "my" dent but also heavily bondo'd areas from possibly 2 other
incidents!

Having the outer valance off, near the upper center, I found 2 blanked-off
(with Lucas part L908), crudely cut holes that I learned were for license
plate lights.  Since the 1970 model didn't use this type of light, I guess
that this valance is a replacement.  Makes me wonder how many times this car
has been hit.

I would really like to put the panels back together in a somewhat original
manner rather than gas welding them.  Eastwoods has a combination package of
a stitch welder and a "spot welder" for around $130.  Has anyone tried either
of these units (especially the spot welder)?  If so, please let me know your
opinion.  Thanks.

Andy Schwarz
Renton, WA