Re: Rubber Thing

To: ArthurK101@aol.com
Subject: Re: Rubber Thing
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 23:37:05 -0600
Cc: Ct54531@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net

ArthurK101@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 02-Jul-00 15:18:19 Eastern Daylight Time, Ct54531@aol.com
> writes:
>
> > I'm in the middle of refurbishing the floor pans in the 65 4A and, on the
> >  drivers side, up in the corner on the floor under the dimmer switch, I
> came
> >  across a round rubber plug (I guess) in the floor. About the size of a
> >  half-dollar maybe. What's it for? Just curious.
> >
> >  Jim
> >  CT54531L
>
> It is NOT for the TR4 jack.  That is a large rubber plug in front of the
> seats (one on each side).  What you have come across is probably a factory
> drain hole plug.  My TR4 also has it so please let me know what other listers
> say about it.  I can't find it in my Factory manual "body section."
>
> This is great -- in 36 years I have never noticed it or if I did it didn't
> register.  :-). Cheers.
> Art Kelly

I will posit this, having been somewhat associated with automotive
production issues for a few years. It is probably a drain plug, but
whether the use was intended for production or later owner use, I'm not
sure. It could be a joint purpose. I think all convertible Triumphs had
some sort of drain plug arrangement in the floor pans, for the purpose
someone else described--draining the interior in the event of being
caught in a downpour with the top down. But, the placement of that plug
may have been for the convenience of manufacturing, as well.

It may be that the placement of the plug also facilitated manufacture of
the car on the assembly line--there may have been an item which
necessitated installing a nut or bolt from below to save time, and that
purpose was incorporated into the drain location.

Cheers.

--

Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM