Oil cooler

To: "Jay Snavely" <jays@paonline.com>
Subject: Oil cooler
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 21:08:12 -0400
Cc: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by "Jay Snavely"
>I have a stock 74 TR6 with 87000 miles and I do not believe the engine has
been rebuilt.  I cleaned out the radiator and redid the cooling system.
The
other week I drove the car all day in 90-95 F weather at a 40-50 MPH pace,
2000 to 3000 rpm.  The oil pressure was <25 at idle and rarely hit 50 psi.
I thought it was time for a rebuild and new oil pump.  Later I drove it at
the same speeds but in 80-85 F weather.  The oil pressure at idle was 25
and
was >50 at 3000 rpm. The car ran at normal water temps on both days.   I
guess the difference in air temp caused this variation in oilt
temp/pressure.  Now I am thinking maybe I should put in an oil cooler and
put off the rebuild a few years/thousand miles.  Any comments?

Jay
<

Jay,

Forget the oil cooler.  Buy a set of crank bearings, an oil pan gasket (and
an oil pump if you like) and spend the weekend renewing the bearings and
you will once again have wonderful oil pressure.  Without an oil cooler.
Unless you are racing, you don't need an oil cooler.

Don't forget the thrust washers.

Dave
BTDT got 40 PSI at idle fully warm, 10W40  ;-)