oil cooler

To: Gary Nafziger <naffy@netins.net>
Subject: oil cooler
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 09:52:00 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by Gary Nafziger
>Have a follow up question to the oil cooler deal........I get 20lbs at
idle
and a little under 50lbs oil pressure at highway speeds in the 6. With
20-50
oil.

I consider this ok but is it??  I am also using oil.......in the area of
300-400 miles a quart.........Does not smoke noticably.......leaks some but
not to the extent I am losing it.........bottom of engine/transmission is
wet with oil........am wondering about oil pan gasket.......I have changed
the valve cover gasket without much change in consumption.      thots
                Gary, Frances Nafziger
                Wellman, Iowa
<

Gary,

Your engine is getting tired though it will run for a quite a while longer.
 These cars (I'm assuming you have a TR6 but it applies to the Vangard
motors, too) are well adapted to in situ repairs.  Low oil pressure can be
rectified by dropping the oil pan and replacing the crank bearings and oil
pump.  I did this and my oil pressure went from about what you had to 70
PSI from 1500 RPM up and 40 PSI at idle.  Don't forget the thrust washers.

Oil can be consumed via two avenues (three if you count leaks but if you
were leaking a quart every 400 miles you would have a pool under your car):
rings and valve guides.  You can pull the head and have a machine shop
install new valve guides.  Once you have the head and oil pan off you can
pop out the pistons and put in new rings.

After you do all this you have virtually a new motor.  If you do this every
50 - 70 thousand miles you cn run the engine 200,000 or more between total
rebuilds.

Note for Vangard engine owners:  When it comes time to re-ring you can opt
for new pistons and liners.

Dave