Easy (HA!)-Out

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Easy (HA!)-Out
From: "Michael Ferguson" <fergie@ntplx.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2000 23:13:28 -0500
Time for the elementary question of the week! Hate to bug you folks with
something like this, but I've tried to use a screw extractor only a few
times in my life. Have NEVER failed to break it off in the bolt I was trying
to extract! This time, I'd really like to do it right, considering the stud
I'm trying to remove happens to be in my TR3's head! One of the studs that
holds the manifold.

Anyway, I bought one of those tapered, but flat sided extractors this time.
In the past, I've tried the screw-in type. This one requires a 9/64" hole to
be drilled. The broken stud is 3/8". Is this the right size extractor or do
I need a larger one?

Here's the plan...I'm soaking it overnight with PB Blaster, tomorrow will
square off the exposed end of the stud with a cut-off wheel, then
center-punch and drill. I'm assuming I should then tap the square peg in the
round hole, providing I can actually drill a hole more or less in the center
of the stud. Should I tap it with a small hammer or a large one (in other
words, do I really pound it in, or just lightly)? Then the T-handle from the
tap and die set to "easily" extract the broken stud.

Am I on the right track? Any suggestions would be more than welcome. TIA.

Michael Ferguson
1959 TR3A  TS53990L...O