Re: 4A rear brakes

To: lmtr4a@ctlnet.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 4A rear brakes
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 17:14:20 EDT
In a message dated 7/9/00 3:57:11 PM EST, lmtr4a@ctlnet.com writes:

> For the last couple or so weeks I have been losing about two ounces or so of
>  brake fluid per week. The offending wheel cylinder was the right rear that
>  sprung a leak. Naturally the shoes are a mess and must be replaced. The
left
>  rear is perfectly dry with about 2/3 of the facing still remaining. On the
>  right side I will replace the shoes, cylinder, return and hold down
springs.
>  My question for the list is can I get away with doing only one side and
>  merely adjust the difference?

Assuming that the other side is not only dry but completely functional
(including proper sliding movement of the wheel cylinder), you COULD, in
theory, do just what you propose. But there are two BIG problems with that:
1. I don't know of any source for just half of the axle set of shoes (2 as
opposed to 4)
2. I wouldn't necessarily bank on the new linings being of the exact
composition as the old ones, so there's a reasonable possibility of differing
brake action above and beyond any adjustment of clearance between shoe and
drum.

I'd recommend replacing the shoes on the "good" side.

--Andy

Andrew Mace, President, The Vintage Triumph Register