4A rear brakes

To: "lmtr4a" <lmtr4a@ctlnet.com>
Subject: 4A rear brakes
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 20:58:16 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by "lmtr4a"
>For the last couple or so weeks I have been losing about two ounces or so
of
brake fluid per week. The offending wheel cylinder was the right rear that
sprung a leak. Naturally the shoes are a mess and must be replaced. The
left
rear is perfectly dry with about 2/3 of the facing still remaining. On the
right side I will replace the shoes, cylinder, return and hold down
springs.
My question for the list is can I get away with doing only one side and
merely adjust the difference?

Lou Metelko                        lmtr4a@ctlnet.com
<

Lou,

You can't buy two shoes (at least to the best of my knowledge) so yo will
wind up buying four anyway.  And if you do just one side the side you don't
do will wear out before the other and you will be in there again.  And if
you do find the other half set of shoes then you will have one new pair and
one that is about 2/3 worn.  Then the cycle starts all over.

Also, if you do just one side the shoes will be of different origin and the
coefficient of friction may be different and if so the car will pull to one
side when braking.

In short, do yourself a favor and do both sides.  You will be happy you
did.

Dave