Re: TR4 radiator: upgrade options?

To: steven@cravetechnology.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 radiator: upgrade options?
From: "" <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 11:09:05 PDT
>From: "steven@cravetechnology.com" <steven@cravetechnology.com>
>Subject: TR4 radiator: upgrade options?
>Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 10:47:08 -0600
>
>Listers:
>
>My '62 TR4 (CT5018LO) has a pinhole leak at the base of the radiator
>neck (long neck w/ crank hole). I'm inclined to pull the *original*
>radiator, repair it, then STORE it -- and in the meantime upgrade the
>radiator. You may recall that the engine was rebuilt in May; the TR4 has
>run fine in 90 degree weather and stop-and-go traffic since -- though it
>has budged a touch to the right of 185 in heavy traffic when it's ~100
>-- but I'd like a bit more insurance for long pulls on Colorado mountain
>trips and other hard use.
>
>Any good radiator upgrades for an early TR4?

    How about another early TR4 radiator?  I know it sounds a bit
    flippant, but for the money finding a good second, having it rodded
    out and repaired seems to me a better investment. The only thing I
    did to mine was have the filler neck shortened. I found it lessens
    the vibration and wear and tear that promotes leaking at that site.
    I'm all for fixing something that needs it. But, why mess with
    something that's working?

    You may want to add some Red Line "water wetter" to the 50/50
    coolant/water mix in the system.

    Another thing I did that I believe helps was, when I rebuilt the
    engine, I had the block boiled out. I then scaled the rust that
    wasn't removed by boiling by hand. I used everthing from old screw
    drivers, and wood chisles to dental tools and steel wire brushes to
    get all the scale off the water jacket. The temp hasn't caused me
    any worry since.

Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois       1962 TR4 (CT4852L)