RE: just curious

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: just curious
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 11:44:15 -0700
John :

IMO the point gap itself is not particularly critical (and is somewhat
difficult to set precisely), hence the specified range.  Of course, the
point gap also affects timing, which is more critical (and is why you
should set the point gap before setting the timing, rather than after).

Either too wide or too narrow typically causes performance problems
(starting with loss of power) at high rpm.  Too narrow can also cause
problems with rough idle, hard to start, etc., especially if the bearings
are worn.  Until the gap is really badly off, though, the problems are
pretty subtle.  Except for a possible change in gas mileage, I doubt you
could tell the difference between .013", .015", or .017" on an otherwise
healthy engine.

YMMV
Randall