Butt or lap weld?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Butt or lap weld?
From: Cliff Hansen <hansenc@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 21:31:27 -0400
Guys,

I'm at the point where I have to decide how to weld the replacement
battery box into the 4A.  I still have 1/2" or so of metal all around the
outside
of the replacement box, so I can either form flanges and lap weld or
cut it off and butt weld.  I've never done either, but I will soon with a
MiG welder.

If I lap weld, should I punch holes and fill them in as a substitute for
spot welding?  I've seen references to this.

Thanks for the advice.  Once the box is in and the firewall patched,
the sills are next.

Cliff Hansen