Re: Dan Masters' Book, volume 2

To: iron_horse819@yahoo.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dan Masters' Book, volume 2
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 22:40:31 EDT
In a message dated 7/13/2000 10:28:05 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
iron_horse819@yahoo.com writes:

> I had planned on holding out until the TR2 - 4A book came out, but with the
>  great acclaim this first one is getting I'm about convinced to get it as
> well.
>  Any idea how much carry-over of material there will be, or how soon the
next
>  one will come out?

Raymond,

The book is divided into three sections: General Principles and Procedures,
Specific Maintenance and Troubleshooting, and Upgrades and Modifications.

Of the 10 chapters in the first section, six (Introduction, General
procedure, Bad Grounds and Connections, Batteries and Battery Charging, Dwell
Vs Point Gap, and Ignition Theory) will change very little, if any. Chapter
4, Alternator Operation, will be expanded to include generators. Chapter 7,
Fuses, will have the load tables revised to reflect the earlier models.
Chapter 9, Switches, Relays, & Solenoids, will be revised a small bit to show
the switches as used in the 2 -4A range. Chapter 10, Wiring Harness Repair,
will have the wire color code charts revised.

Of the 17 chapters in the second section, four (Anti Run-on Valves, Courtesy
Lights, Oil, Brake, and EGR lamps, and Seat Belt Interlocks) will be omitted.
Five chapters (Gauges, Ignition System, Starter, Turn Signals and Hazard
Flasher, and Windshield Wipers & Washer) will be extensively revised, mostly
to remove material that isn't applicable, e.g., hazard flashers. Changes to
the remaining chapters in section two will be of a detail nature, reflecting
the minor changes between the models.

Of the 7 chapters in the last section, one chapter (Ballast Resistor Bypass)
will be deleted, one chapter (Alternator Upgrades) will be extensively
revised to reflect the fact that the earlier models had generators rather
than alternators, while the remaining chapters will be changed very little.

The above is based on a preliminary analysis, and may change as I get into
the book.

At this time, I don't even want to think about a deadline!  However, the last
one took nearly a year, so this one should take about half that?

As for the Spitfire/GT6 version, I suspect it will be a combination of the
TR250/TR6 and the TR2 -4A versions, probably coming in at around 300 pages.
The early Spits were very simple, like the TR2 - 4As, while the later models
were very similar to the later TR6 models. I expect this volume will take a
long time to write!

Dan