XKE clutch replacement !!!

To: "Ken and Elizabeth" <BethKen@erols.com>
Subject: XKE clutch replacement !!!
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 09:34:50 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Dan R." <tr4me@hotmail.com>
Message text written by "Ken and Elizabeth"
>I was just talking to the wife of my Triumph guru mechanic and she
mentioned a
woman who wanted the clutch replaced on her XKE. The story blew my mind.
She
said that if you replace the clutch the way the manual recommends, it calls
for 70 hours labor (about $4,500 in labor !!!). Bill does it in only 40
hours
(about $2,500) by cutting the frame and lifting off the entire front of the
car !!! Ever heard that? When folks said the jags are expensive to work on,
they weren't kidding
<

The book precedure for replacing the clutch calls for removing the
engine/transmission.  Same as on an MGB.  I'll bet your mechanic doesn't
"cut" the frame but unbolts the "birdcage" front framework.  Still, 40
hours is a bunch.

Dave