Re: TR6 wire wheels

To: "Iam MacLeod" <canada@voyageronline.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 wire wheels
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 17:58:44 -0600
-----Original Message-----
From: Iam MacLeod <canada@voyageronline.net>
To: triumphs@autox.team.net <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Date: Friday, December 29, 2000 10:46 AM
Subject: TR6 wire wheels

>Happy New Year, Listers
>
>I'm considering wheels for my '76 TR6.  i know Panasports are the best for
>flat out performance and i haven't completely ruled them out; but i really
>like the look of wires better.

There is a middle ground.  It uses the "Rudge" spline like the wire wheels,
and it looks "period)  but it ain't cheap.  There is a replica of the old
Minilite center-lock racing wheel.  I believe "Minator" wheels are made in
the UK by "KN Alloys" or some such outfit.  As I recall, BMC used the
original Minilite center-locks for rallying.  The Minator wheels for TRs
cost about 300 bucks each in the USA from Vicky Brit and are 15 x 5.5
inches.  You get to use your original knock-off cap and can swap back to the
wires without changing your splines.  They are more solid than the wire
wheels, and you don't need inner tubes.

>kastner's book says wires have "nothing to offer" for competition because
>they're heavier and not as strong.  i don't race the car, but i live on a
>mountain road, have substantially beefed up the suspension and am inclined
>to "push it a bit."  my questions:
>
>--any guesses as to whether Kastner was writing about modern 72-spoke
wheels
>or whatever was available in 1968?
>
>--are wires THAT much heavier than alloys or original steel wheels?

Yes.

>--are wires unsafe if i "push it"?

How hard, how often, how sticky a tire?

>--the big three offer Dayton & Dunlop wires; is there a quality difference?

I have heard that Daytons are better.  Don't have an experienced opinion.

>--any other brands worth considering?
>
>--Dunlop offers a 70-spoke "center laced" wheel which they say is "very
>strong."  has anyone tried these and are they any stronger?

Dunno.  Still need inner tubes and I don't know that they are much cheaper
than the alloys.

Now MY question.  Does anyone else make "Rudge" knockoff alloys besides the
Minator?  Panasport makes a center-lock wheel for Lotus, but those don't use
a spline.  The centers are plain bored and the wheel is driven by five pins
on the hub which fit into five small holes in the wheel.

"It makes a nice noise when it goes faster"
- 4-year-old Adam, upon seeing a bitmap of Grandma Susie's TR4.