TR6 wire wheels

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 wire wheels
From: Iam MacLeod <canada@voyageronline.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 11:48:54 -0500
Happy New Year, Listers

I'm considering wheels for my '76 TR6.  i know Panasports are the best for
flat out performance and i haven't completely ruled them out; but i really
like the look of wires better.

kastner's book says wires have "nothing to offer" for competition because
they're heavier and not as strong.  i don't race the car, but i live on a
mountain road, have substantially beefed up the suspension and am inclined
to "push it a bit."  my questions:

--any guesses as to whether Kastner was writing about modern 72-spoke wheels
or whatever was available in 1968?

--are wires THAT much heavier than alloys or original steel wheels?

--are wires unsafe if i "push it"?

--the big three offer Dayton & Dunlop wires; is there a quality difference?

--any other brands worth considering?

--Dunlop offers a 70-spoke "center laced" wheel which they say is "very
strong."  has anyone tried these and are they any stronger?

As always, thanks in advance.

Ian

CF 57345UO