Re: TR6 wire wheels

To: <canada@voyageronline.net>, triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 wire wheels
From: Sandy Levine <slevine@toucan.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 15:56:08 -0800
Iam
    My 70 TR6 was delivered with painted wires from the factory. It was my
daily driver- actually our only car for a while - and I drove it year round
in the NYC area. I had a daily 70 mile round trip commute to the city and
the car saw more than it's fair share of real deep potholes. Curbs helped
stop the car a few times when the streets were covered with ice. Over 70,000
miles and never a problem.
    I made it a sport of taking corners as fast as the car would go and in
those days I changed to Pirelli snow tires for the winter and back to
regular radials in the spring. One winter I totally destroyed a set of snow
tires in just 6K miles of sliding through the corners on country roads. I
even cracked a trailing arm one day but never a problem with the wires. Just
make sure you check the nuts that secure the splines to the car every 10,000
miles - they do come loose!
    I am "days" away from finishing my frame off restoration and ordered a
new set of Dayton painted wires from British Wire Wheel. My original wheels
were sitting in one spot for about 10 years and showed a fair amount of
rust. Amazing the splines looked in good shape - but I also kept them well
greased. But, with all of the money I have put into the restoration I
figured the car deserved a new set of wheels