OD Wiring Hole In Gearbox Cover?

To: "Don Clark" <d@seanet.com>
Subject: OD Wiring Hole In Gearbox Cover?
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 20:59:30 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Don Clark"
>This weekend I am working on installing an overdrive in my 72 TR6. The car
has never had an overdrive in it and I am installing J type OD with the J
type OD wiring.

I'm wondering where I should drill the hole in my gearbox cover for the
overdrive wiring?
Also, the schematic shows that there is no relay for this overdrive. I'm
wondering if this is a case where a relay would be a good thing, like the
headlights, or really isn't required.
<

Don,

Do not drill holes in the cover, there is already one there for the reverse
lamp wiring.  Pass the O/D wires through the same hole.  And, yes indeed,
there is no relay required for the J-type overdrive since the solenoid used
on this unit only draws an amp or two.  Dan Masters' book shows the wiring
for this unit.  You can use a relay if you like, I did (before I knew
better) but if I had it to do over I would omit it.

Dave
57 TR3 (A-type)
71 TR6 (J-type)
80 Tr8