TR6 Downshifting Problem

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Downshifting Problem
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 21:09:13 EDT
Hi Listers,
I`m back from a little R&R in the Caribean.  I saw one Lime Green MGB in ST.
Thomas, that was it no Triumphs.  Kind of sad.  Anyway I`ve been back long
enough to extract the leaking A-type tranny from the 71 Six.  Turns out to be
a bent OD adapter plate so I should be able to stop the primary leak. I will
certainly fill it this time on the bench!  Moss motors came thru with another
solenoid mounting plate that is totally different in a good way since it
looks exactly like the originals and  the o-ring fits perfectly therefore
stopping the secondary leak.  But "Whoa is Me". I took the Six out for a test
drive before extracting and I have no first or second synchros.  It upshifts
fine, OD works great but refuses to be down shifted into 1st or 2nd. I can
only get a couple of downshifts in until it warms up and then nothing but
grunts and grinds. The gearbox was rebuilt by a friend of mine with new
synchros and he is totally clueless.
He is not sure where the synchros came from but they did not come from TRF
because Charles was out at the time.  We are using the Saab pressure plate
and he thinks the clutch or the hydraulics is the problem.  Master is rebuilt
and slave is NOS so I`m a little skeptical.  Are any of you guys good at
Fault Diagnosis?  I am going to hate having to pull this thing a third time.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Darrell
71 "Whoa is ME"