Re: Whazat brown wire do?

To: "Triumphs \(E-mail\)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Whazat brown wire do?
From: "Nelson A. Riedel" <nriedel@nextek.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 21:53:07 -0400

| Whilst admiring at my newly installed stainless steel fuel line, I noticed
| that one of the wires going to the positive terminal of the coil looked
| rather ratty. It's the brown fabric covered one. I have a '74 TR6, and
this
| wire doesn't show up in the shop manual wiring diagram.
| I'd like to splice in a new section of wire. But, before I do, I'd like to
| know what the heck this thing does. Any clues?
|
| Paul Burr

Paul, the wire you refer to is the ballast resistor wire.  It cuts the
votage to the coil  from ~12 volts to ~6 volts.  The fabric covering usually
gets a little ratty beyond the taped part of the harness.   You can trim the
fabric back to the tape to make it look better    The wire itself forms the
resistor.  I wouldn't cut much off the wire because that  will reduce the
resistance and  increase the voltage to the coil.   The coil on the '73 and
after TR6s is a 6 volt coil.

Nelson Riedel
Granville, OH
76 TR6 (at paint shop)
68 TR250 (next project - new paint)
70 TR6 (all the parts in a pile ready to assemble)