Whazat brown wire do?

To: "Paul J. Burr" <tigerpb@ids.net>
Subject: Whazat brown wire do?
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 09:02:24 -0500
Cc: "Triumphs \(E-mail\)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Paul J. Burr"
>Whilst admiring at my newly installed stainless steel fuel line, I noticed
that one of the wires going to the positive terminal of the coil looked
rather ratty. It's the brown fabric covered one. I have a '74 TR6, and this
wire doesn't show up in the shop manual wiring diagram.
I'd like to splice in a new section of wire. But, before I do, I'd like to
know what the heck this thing does. Any clues?
<

Paul,

This is a pretty important wire (what wire isn't) but it is also a special
resistance wire.  It is called the ballast wire used to reduce the voltage
to your 6 volt coil.  It shows up in Dan Masters' book on TR6 electrics.
(Essentially this car has a 6 volt coil and a resistor (ballast) to reduce
the 12 volts down during normal operation but this ballast is bypassed
during starting for a hotter spark etc, etc.) Do not splice any old wire
onto it without taking this into consideration.  In other words, don't
shorten it any more than you must.

Dave Massey