RE: Business 101

To: "'wallaces@superaje.com'" <wallaces@superaje.com>, techman@metrolink.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Business 101
From: "Paige, Dean" <DPaige@ci.santa-rosa.ca.us>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 14:36:54 -0700
Complaints about the cost and availability of parts really confuse me. I've
owned two TRs since 1969...67 4A and 73 TR, Only a year off when I owned
none...1972. Let me tell you in no uncertain terms. At no time in those many
years has it been as economical and as easy to get reasonably priced,
quality parts as it is now. Untill, I discovered Moss Motors in my own back
yard in the Santa Barbara Area in the early 80s only the basics were readily
available. Trim parts, bulbs, cylinder heads, rocker arms, lenses, bulbs
even, fergedaboutid! Tranny parts...impossible! Far and away since then and
especially since the internet and the discovery of BV and TRF et al I have
never been happier with cost, quality and availability. If yer compalining
about it all now you just don't know how good you have it.

Deano

Roy,
Your logic sounds fine to me, but I have been doing a lot of shopping lately

and I find that very many of the parts for our old cars actually cost less
than
the price of parts for new cars. Furthermore, you can actually get them. We
are
very fortunate - call it empirical, but, I think it's real.
Regards,
Jim Wallace
'60 TR3 TS81417L (in restoration)

Business 101:

For a business to make money........(many words deleted).........Prices for
parts for "nearly current cars" appear relatively low......(many more words
deleted)........For our "older cars" it is costly to do the initial setup
and
the variable cost likely is also large (because of archaic design, or other
reasons). This is a double whammy for us-- we don't have anywhere near the
production quantity and the costs to do the small run are large as well.
Thus,
forget about ever having what you might think is a "reasonable price" for
our
car parts......

Roy
'60 TR3 TS63103LO (in restoration)