Re: Wire Wheel advice needed

To: " TR list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wire Wheel advice needed
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 01 12:22:54 -0700
>>If your clunk is indeed real bad splines go ahead and drive on them if
>>you can not replace them right away.  Afterall what can you hurt that is
>>not already worn out and ready for the recyclers.
>
>A bad spline hub could beat up on a good wheel spline.  Wheels are more
>spendy than hubs.

Since they wear together they tend to wear together.  I guess I just tend
to replace wheels & splines all at once.

>Also, if the problem progresses, the wheel could come adrift at speed.  Not
>pretty.

Seems to me that what would happen first is that the wheel will spin on
the hub.  That just means you get towed home.  A knockoff wheel should
only come adrift if the knockoff comes off.

But he still needs to deturmine if his real problem is a 'U' joint or
worn diff assy.

TeriAnn Wakeman               Marigold Ltd.
Santa Cruz, California        Web design, site updating, testing
webmaster@overlander.net      search engine optimization, graphics
                              and more

http://www.overlander.net/Marigold/index.html