Re: Wire Wheel advice needed

To: " TR list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wire Wheel advice needed
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 14:03:34 -0700
It seems to me that, if the spline spins inside the hub, the knock off has
the opportuinty to stay with the wheel and spin right off.  I think braking
would be the danger, where the wheel is moving forward, the spline is being
held by the brake and if the knock off has more friction against the wheel
than on the threads, the centrifugal force will cause the knock off to,
well, knock off.  I may have it backwards, in which the danger is under
acceleration.  In any event, if the splines are bad, you could lose the
wheel.

However, from the description of the noise being a clunk, I suspect that the
problem is not the splines. A clunk would occur where there is a slip and
then a catch. The splines, if they slip, are not likely to catch, and if
they did, wouldn't make much of a clunk. More of a grating or grinding
noise. At least that's what mine sounded like.

Bob