Re: lucas new one

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: lucas new one
From: Douglas Frank <frank@zk3.dec.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 14:13:20 -0400
geo wrote:

> hi all ...believe it or not i think ive got an electrical gremlin that i never
> heard of before.....the ignition light works in reverse.

Nothing whatever to do with geo's post, but it's something I can
hang a tale on:

Last Saturday, I completed the deal for a '71 GT6.  It's almost a
parts car, but it's all there so I plan to restore it.  Anyhow,
not trusting it or AAA, I decided to tow it home (~150 miles).
Couldn't get a trailer from UHaul, so had to settle for a tow
dolly, which meant undoing the driveshaft (propshaft) from the
diff.  Oknoprob.

Got home around 11:30PM, after a *long* day.  Parked the truck,
got out and started undoing the hold-downs.  Hmm, there's a lip,
ohmaybe 1" high, I gotta back the front wheels over. Now, how the
#$%*& am I gonna do that with no driveshaft and no jack to raise
her up on?

Getting on towards midnight, and I'm *really* beat.  Oh, I know.
Jerk hard on the hand brake and drive the truck forward.  Car
drags 2 feet... shoot, plan A is a bust.  OK maybe I can push
her.  Back the truck up to roll the front wheels forward, giving
maybe a 4" running start.   Park truck, release handbrake,
GRUNT!  Tires hit lip and stop.  Well, plan B was pretty
desperate after all.  OKIknow, put the truck in 1st and slam the
gas.  That'll do it for sure.  Plan C works like a charm, I get
out of the truck to watch my new old car slowly rolling downhill
backwards:  yep, the handbrake.  Yours truly, the one-man comedy
team, chases after it until it piles into a snow bank.  "Thank
you Jesus!"  Home and to bed.
--
Douglas Frank Compaq Computer Corp.
ZKO           110 Spit Brook Rd.       The older I get,