Re: TR6 Carb Problem?

To: Jeff Slaton <slatonj@vci.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Carb Problem?
From: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 21:36:27 -0600
Cc: Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Jeff Slaton wrote:

> While I was driving the 6 about a month ago I was blowing throught the
> country side late at night and suddenly the car died.  It acted as if it
> were starving for fuel.  It would start and then fall on its face when I
> pushed the gas pedel down.  I could drive only about 100 yards before it
> would quit.  Restart and then another 100 yards.  I managed to get back home
> but not with out putting wear on my starter.

Jeff, I'm with Paul on this one. He said 1) condenser and 2) coil. About 1 1/2
hours after I bought my TR4, 30 miles or so into my 1100 mile trip home to
Denver, the old coil gave up. Similar symptoms, cut out suddenly. Started
again, got 20 yards -- I was in traffic -- and cut out again. Several times
more till I made it to the side of the road. I meant to have a spare coil with
me for the retrieval, but did not.

And more recently, I've finally taken the "90% electrical, 9% fuel, 1%
mechanical" troubleshooting rule to heart, after my intermittent missing
turned out to be a bad spark wire -- not the carb or fuel pump problem
that I was sure it had to be. Luckily, I didn't get around to rebuilding
anything expensive before wiser list members set me straight.

--
Steven Newell
Denver, CO