re: 59 TR3 mpg

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: 59 TR3 mpg
From: "Roy" <techman@metrolink.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 22:09:44 -0400
>what mileage to expect on a 59 TR3?>>

As best I can recall, I got around 26 - 28 mpg in the mid 1970's (when there
was no such thing as "unleaded gas") when I had my 59 TR3. That was an
"incredible" mpg in those days considering most everyone else was driving
muscle cars with hundreds of horsepower (remember the 500-and something
cubic inch V8 that I think Ford put out a couple years in some big land
yachts?). Or remember the 454 V8, 427 V8, etc.? Now that was cookin'....

It was also when you could buy gas for around 25 cents to 30 cents per
gallon and a fillup was around $4. Hardly anybody really worried about "mpg"
back then...

A guy in town had a Hemi 'Cuda with the big block V8 and various stuff on it
(big carb sticking thru the hood, wide tires etc.) that was rumored to
produce around 650 horsepower. The tires would chirp if you tapped on the
gas pedal....in all 4 gears.

Roy
'60 TR3 TS63103LO (in restoration)
techman@metrolink.net