Re: Is this a SEAL??????

To: greenman62@hotmail.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Is this a SEAL??????
From: N197TR4@cs.com
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 20:44:45 EDT
So many bearings crossover in applications because of standard engineering
ID/ODs that it is almost always possible to get bearings and seals...next day
delivery if they dont have them on the shelf...I dont know when the last time
I ordered bearings from TRF, et. al.

I did find one inner axle seal to be (apparently) superior than what I got
locally.

If this seal seems to fit correctly to do the job, use it. Grease doesnt move
around all that much anyway unless you spend a lot of time approaching turn
five at Road America coming down from 125MPH

Joe Alexander

<< I discovered this weekend that my TR4 needed a front wheel bearing.
 Rather that order the bearing from "THE BIG 3" I went to my local Car Quest
 and, surprise. They actually had a number for the bearings races and seal.
 When I went to pick up my order I found the bearings looked like the right
 items however, the seal wasn't the metal and felt seal I was expecting. It
 was made of "space age plastic".

 My question is: has anyone out there had experience with this substitution?

 I really don't want to substitute the obviously older technology if the new
 seal is every bit as good. Besides, there's so little I can get for my `4
 locally these days it's really a bit of a kick if I can.

 TIA,

 Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois       1962 TR4 (CT4852L)

 That's not a leak... My car's just marking its territory... >>