RE: Update:California SB800 /SB1172 u >

To: "Musson, Carl" <musson@chekhov.arts.usf.edu>, " " <tr6nut@telocity.com>, " " <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Update:California SB800 /SB1172 u >
From: "Eric Conrad" <conrade@qwest.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 15:48:37 -0600
Hugh and others,
Having worked for the previous Governor of Colorado, and having been very
involved in the state's legislative process, I feel this update is very
important.  If not just for our hobby, it is also important because state
legislators rarely have original thoughts - legislation that is passed in
one state usually becomes the basis for several other state's legislation.
Also, California is one of the state's that tends to "create" most of the
new legislation (one reason, in my opinion, is that they are full time
legislators, with full time legislative staff).  Many other state's have
part time legislators that simply do not have the available time to have
original inspiration.

My hat's off to California for thinking about exempting 25 year and older
cars.  Many of these vehicles older than 25 years were not meant to be
subject to smog laws in the first place.  Personally, however, I would draw
the line where catalytic converters became required operating gear.  After
that point in time (1977 ???), I feel these vehicles should be subject to
smog laws forever more, as they were created with these requirements in
mind.

Again, thanks for the update.

Eric Conrad
'76 TR6 (just under the 25 year requirement in Colorado)