RE: Lucas Fault Finding Manual Latest Update

To: Adrian <dixie4@wales.freeserve.co.uk>, Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Lucas Fault Finding Manual Latest Update
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 17:10:06 -0700
Adrian :

I don't have a copy of the manual in question, but my guess would be that
the original author (Lucas ?) either did not claim a US copyright, or it has
expired.  This places the information in the 'public domain', which means
anyone can copy it and even resell it at a profit, without committing a
copyright violation.  I imagine this is exactly what Moss is doing, so they
really can't complain if someone else does the same thing.

It's also possible that the copyright holder simply doesn't care, but almost
certainly Moss  does not hold the copyright to a Lucas manual, or even the
exclusive right to reprint it.  The last I heard, TRW owned most of what was
left of Lucas ...

BTW, at least until recently, there was no international law regarding
copyrights, and the laws are different in each country.  If Lucas only
claimed copyright in the UK, it would be almost impossible to prosecute
anyone in the US for copyright violation.

Fraud, well that's a different subject entirely.  I agree Mark's eBay ad is
misleading, but again, IMO, it's going to be very difficult to prevail in a
fraud case.  You, or a directly injured party (or parties), would have to
bring the case, and one of the topics is going to be exactly how much you
were injured ... only as a result of his misrepresentation and not as a
result of your agreeing to pay way too much for an item ...

Randall - not a lawyer or solicitor, NFI, etc.