IRS Differentials

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: IRS Differentials
From: "Gerald Van Vlack" <jerryvv@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 15:04:19 -0400
List,
Have any of you attempted to remove the flanges from the small stub axles on
either side of the IRS Differentials with any success? I am rebuilding an
IRS and want to replace the bearings and seals on these axles. The bearings
must press off in this direction rather than towards the differential
otherwise the axles themselves would just pull out of the differential.
These have the same taper and key fit as the rear hubs but the flanges are
more substantial and less likely to bend as the rear hubs do. I've tried a
gear puller, shock of a hammer blow and lots of heat to no avail. Any
collective ideas?
Jerry Van Vlack
TR4A IRS
CTC69150L with an O added