Re: IRS Differentials

To: "Gerald Van Vlack" <jerryvv@worldnet.att.net>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: IRS Differentials
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 15:39:29 +0100
Hi Gerald
Can I call on your generosity in the direction of forgiveness! Last night it
was quite late and I used the book to jog my memory, well this afternoon I
looked in my box of spares left over from dismantling 2 diffs before I found
a good one. Well, you were right the flanges have to come off to get the
bearing off, I think I did this using a three legged hand hydraulic puller
though I cannot really remember. I may have used the power press at work! I
am sorry for leading you astray with bum info.
If I remember right there is a dimension in the book for how far to press
the new bearing on, I can tell you that you need not worry about this as the
flange will push the bearing on to the right dimension. Thinking about it a
bit more I think I used the hydraulic puller on the bearing, using the
bearing to transmit the force to the flange.
Yes I am on the other side of the pond if you are in the USA!
Graham.