TR3 Cold starting problems

To: "McEwen, Art" <Art.McEwen@moh.gov.on.ca>
Subject: TR3 Cold starting problems
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 18:58:43 -0400
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "McEwen, Art"
>Every spring and fall I have the same problem: it's warm enough during the
day to make me want to drive the TR3 but it's cool & damp in the morning so
the damn thing won't start, or if it does start it won't idle on the choke
until it's fully warm (once the revs start to drop, extra pedal won't
help).
It seems to be worse if it's not driven daily, so I'm suspecting the fuel
is
draining away from the carbs.
<

Art,  me thinks that your choke is not fully actuating and pulling the jets
down.  You should be able to choke it to the point where it won't hardly
run and spews black smoke.  The Choke mechanism for the dual SU set up is
notoriously stiff and you have to pull beyond the point that you think is
the end.  I suggest you have someone watch the jets while you pull the
choke knob and see how far you need to pull.

Good luck

Dave Massey
57 TR3 TS18010L (O)